Thursday 2 December 2010

What came home with me from the comic book store...

A bit of a quick one today as life seems to be eating into my ability to either read books or get them reviewed right now. I can’t wait for the baby to get all her own teeth... Oh well, thank goodness for comics is what I say!

‘The Walking Dead’ #79 (Kirkman & Adlard, Image Comics)


I don’t normally pick up the comics but after that final page of Volume 13 I couldn’t resist seeing what happens next. Now I’m going to have to decide whether to be patient, and wait for Volume 14, or pick up the next few issues... The ‘No Way Out’ storyline is just about to kick off and #79 is setting things up nicely for the big spectacle. It’s interesting to see various couples getting together in the face of what we all know is coming and you’re left wondering who is going to make it through to the end. If the prison storyline is anything to go by then I think we can expect a few shocks over the next couple of issues... There’s another big cliff hanger, right at the end, which has whetted my appetite for more but I did come away with the impression that Adlard was either rushed for time with the art or he was just going through the motions here. Now I have to decide whether to pick up the next issue... 9/10
 
‘Conan the Cimmerian’ #25 (Truman & Giorello, Dark Horse)


Various reasons have conspired to keep me away from ‘Conan the Cimmerian’ over the last few months; I finally get round to picking it up only to find that I’m holding the final issue... Dammit! Apparently there will be more ‘Conan’ to come from Truman and Giorello in the future; it’s a shame to see ‘Conan the Cimmerian’ come to an end but this tale of Conan’s coming to lead the Red Brotherhood is a fine way to end things in style. Truman’s storytelling is as neat and concise as ever but #25 is all about Giorello’s art as far as I’m concerned. Whether it’s Conan’s fight with the great Ape or the Red Brotherhood falling foul of the menace in the temple, Giorello’s art lends a power and vibrancy that I’m sure Howard himself would have been proud of. From what I’ve managed to read, this run of ‘Conan’ is worth picking up in trade paperback and I think that’s just what I’m going to have to do.  9.5/10

1 comment:

Jamie Gibbs said...

After seeing the first episode of Walking Dead (and the others are recorded) I really want to start reading the graphic novels. Comic books zombies are always a winner for me.