Wednesday 29 December 2010

One for 2011? ‘Prince of Thorns’ – Mark Lawrence

I’m using the ‘post Christmas come down’ as a time to really chill out and enjoy what I’m reading; something that I really need to do more of I think. Could that be a New Year’s Resolution? I reckon it might be…

In the meantime, here’s another entry in my occasional list of books that you might want to keep an eye open for next year. It may be a case of the publicity people being over eager (although you can’t really blame them for doing their job…) but ‘Prince of Thorns’ comes with a letter talking of the book being ‘acquired in the US for the highest advance for any debut in this field for the past 7 years’ and that ‘every single fantasy publisher in the UK bid for the rights’. Voyager are certainly pinning their hopes on this one as the book isn’t due for release until August and I’ve already had an advance copy through the door…

Check out the blurb and see what you think,



"Before the thorns taught me their sharp lessons and bled weakness from me I had but one brother, and I loved him well. But those days are gone and what is left of them lies in my mother's tomb. Now I have many brothers, quick with knife and sword, and as evil as you please. We ride this broken empire and loot its corpse. They say these are violent times, the end of days when the dead roam and monsters haunt the night. All that's true enough, but there's something worse out there, in the dark. Much worse."

Once a privileged royal child, raised by a loving mother, Jorg Ancrath has become the Prince of Thorns, a charming, immoral boy leading a grim band of outlaws in a series of raids and atrocities. The world is in chaos: violence is rife, nightmares everywhere. Jorg's bleak past has set him beyond fear of any man, living or dead, but there is still one thing that puts a chill in him. Returning to his father's castle Jorg must confront horrors from his childhood and carve himself a future with all hands turned against him.


I’ve read the first chapter and it’s definitely a little bit more than the ‘young prince after the throne that is his’ story that it initially looks to be. On the other hand though, does the genre really need another tale of a young prince after the throne that is his? I’ll let you know once I’ve finished reading. In the meantime though, what do you think? Has the blurb got you interested in picking this one up?

10 comments:

Michael Natale said...

This sounds good to me.

Even in the BLRB you can tell the author's prose is well crafted but easy to read.

If the story holds up - and perhaps the bidding war you mentioned means it does - this could be a hit.

Definitely on my list to read next year...

Adam Whitehead said...

I heard that the UK editor said this was the most significant epic fantasy book she'd acquired in 15 years, the previous one being A GAME OF THRONES. So yup, this does have a lot of backing behind it, and I'll certainly be taking a look :-)

Hannah said...

My kind of cover, my kind of blurb. Not too worried if there is a bit of 'same old' in basic storyline - so long as it's well written with great world-building, characters, and not utterly predictable.

BookMarc Blogpants said...

It sounds like a good read although the cover shout 'Assassins Creed' at me when looking at it.

noothergods said...

Looks very interesting, I'm definitely going to have to keep an eye out for this one.

JamesY said...

The first paragraph of the blurb suggests a dark story and that appeals: I hope it stays dark. I wouldn't be turned off completely if the book is a 'journey of redemption' for the young prince, but it would move from a potential hardback purhase to waiting for the mass market paperback.

John said...

@BookMarc

Good call. The artist (Jason Chan) has done work for video games (Dragon Age for sure) but don't think he worked on Assassin's Creed.

Graeme Flory said...

Adam - I love those fighting words from the editor, it's that kind of attitude makes me want to pick it up even more and see what the fuss is about :o)

JamesY - I've only read the first chapter but it is suitably dark (so far...)

Helen M said...

I have read it and can assure you that it remains dark. While some of its themes may have been seen in fantasy before, the way the story plays out is entirely new and surprising--at least it was to me.

Bryn said...

Googled my way into this. Did you ever review it? I can't find your review.