Thursday 27 May 2010

‘Zombieland’


I am worse at catching up with films that I’d like to watch than I am at working my way through the reading pile... (I’m actually hanging my head in shame as I write this) ‘Zombieland’ has been out for far too long now for me to have any other excuse for not watching it than just plain being rubbish at getting round to it... :o(

I’m glad I finally did though! I don’t think I’ve laughed so much at a zombie film since ‘Shaun of the Dead’ and I may have laughed even more this time round. Explaining the zombie outbreak wasn’t such a great approach; not only does it takes away all the mystery but if you’re going to do something like that then at least come up with a decent explanation! The fact that it was so much fun to watch though outweighed this admittedly small issue. People get killed by zombies in amusing ways and zombies die in ways that are even funnier (thank you Cynthia Knickerbocker!) You can’t ask for a lot more than that other than having Bill Murray in a cameo role... which there was :o)

The unrelentingly bleak landscape of the zombie apocalypse really sets off the moments of humour (of which there are loads) and had me watching the whole way through. There’s talk of sequels and I’m excited already, I won’t be leaving it so long to check these out! Well, maybe I won’t. We’ll see...

4 comments:

logankstewart said...

I loved this movie. I don't know why so many people didn't. It was way too fun to not like. Your review makes me want to watch it again, as it is.

keke said...

I loved this movie too. I love zombie movies in general and will watch just about any of them (except for that House of the Dead stuff- which is funny for completely different reasons).

This movie was hilarious.

Sweet Vernal Zephyr said...

This movie was a great time! But not much of a story (with a prominent beginning and ending)... more like a snapshot in the characters' lives.

Hilarious is right! And slightly gruesome, but that has to come with the zombie territory!

Celine said...

Bloody loved this film. Couldn't fathom the slew of woegous reviews it collected.