Thursday 20 September 2012

What the Birthday Fairy bought me...

Today was meant to be all about a review (more than likely S.L. Grey's 'The Ward') until it became all about preparing for a job interview that I need to be at for 9am. Wish me luck! :o)

What today will be about instead then is a quick look at what I spent my ill-gotten birthday money on (in an hour at Forbidden Planet that was mostly spent trying to stop Hope eating chicken nuggets in front of the security cameras). Check it out...

It's going to be a long time before I get to see 'Dredd' (probably when it comes out on DVD knowing me...) so I thought I'd stock up with some 2000AD comic books in the meantime. Forbidden Planet didn't actually have a great selection but I did come away with the following...


'Insurrection' was recommended by a friend of mine (and Dan Abnett is the writer so that bodes well too) and 'The Complete Case Files 09' has Chopper, 'The Midnight Surfer', in it so that makes it officially cool before I've even started reading :o) I'm looking forward to spending some time with both of these books.

My mission to collect the complete(ish) 'Fantasy Masterworks' series has somehow grown to encompass the 'Sci-Fi Masterworks' series as well; I don't know how that happened but I'm going with it anyway. I'm bending my own rules slightly here (second hand purchases only, no exceptions) but it was my birthday so...

Ill luck made Roger Torraway the subject of the Man Plus Programe, but it was deliberate biological engineering which turned him into a monster -- a machine perfectly adapted to survive on Mars. For according to computer predictions, Mars is humankind's only alternative to extinction. But beneath his monstrous exterior, Torraway still carries a man's capacity for suffering.

The blurb has intrigued me for a long time and I thought it was long past time I gave it a go. Anyone here read this book?

1 comment:

Liesel K. Hill said...

All look intriguing! Happy reading! :D