Friday 1 January 2010

Happy New Year!

I hope you all had a great one last night and saw in the New Year in just the way that you wanted to. The Rivoli Ballroom, in South East London, turned out to be a great place to wave good bye to 2009 and usher in 2010 :o)

I pretty much said it all in yesterday's post but the offer is still open for you all to stick around and see what the blog has to offer this year; it should be good. Here's a little taster of what you can expect to see over the next few days at least (courtesy of of my Christmas present pile)...





I enjoyed the hell out of Jeff Vandermeer's 'Finch' so decided it would be a good time to check out the previous two books in his Ambergris setting. Anything by David Gemmell also makes for good reading over a sleepy Christmas and New Year (same goes for 'Star Wars'). 'The Encyclopedia of World Mythology' looks like it could be good as well.
One thing you won't be seeing though is...



Here's a book that I should have picked up last year but never got round to and it looks like there was good reason, at least as far as I was concerned. Not only did the humour fall flat but the threat to our heroes were the K'nids. I think Roald Dahl might have something to say about that if he were alive. Some things just make me completely disconnect from a story and that really did it for me...

Anyway, have a great 2010 everyone and if I don't see you around here then maybe I'll bump into you on one of the forums I hang out at :o)

P.S. No resolutions from me this year, not when I didn't keep a single one last year...

3 comments:

James said...

I loved Finch and Shriek: An Afterword, but only really made it halfway through City of Saints and Madmen (no fault of its own, of course, I am just not fond of short fiction and am easily distracted away from it). Looks like you have the City of Saints and Madmen with the awesome cover. I really wanted that one, but had to settle for the meh Bantam cover.

Graeme Flory said...

It's not just the cover that's looking good, the inside is pretty damn cool as well :o) I'm looking forward to getting stuck into it!

Celine said...

The Walking Dead is possibly the best Graphic Novel series of all time. I can not wait for the next issue.