Sunday 29 June 2008

Graeme goes to the Comic Shop, Part One...

Ok... it turns out I didn't post that much after all, sorry! I've just been away for another great weekend with my mates from the SFX Forum where we got drunk, had lightsaber fights in the street and invaded comic shops across Sheffield. Check out what I came back with...



I've heard a lot about this, on various forums, (and really enjoyed 'Inside Straight') so when I saw it on the shelves I thought I'd give it a go. Daniel Abraham's writing/story is as good as what he did for 'Inside Straight' but the artwork didn't do much for me, didn't stand out as any different from any Marvel or DC comic... Having said that, there's just enough to 'The Hard Call' for me to give it one more issue and see if gets better...



I just had to come home with a zombie comic! ;o) There's three stories inside and my two favourites were the 'one shots' that had a definite ending (typical...) and 'People Person' won out as my favourite overall. 'The War at Home' looks like it has potential to be a good tale though and I'm loving the front cover! :o)



'The Goon' is another series that I've heard good things about so I thought I'd give it a shot, this issue ended up being my favourite of the ones that I bought and I'm probably going to end up investing in at least one of the trade paperbacks. Great artwork and a story that's both sweet and a little scary. Oh yes, and it made me laugh out loud too. Great stuff...

While I've been working my way through these I'm also making some headway into Steven Erikson's 'Toll the Hounds'. The best way to put it, so far, is that reading this book is like wading through treacle - 'sweet but really heavy going...' More on this when I finally get it done! I also managed to find a copy of 'The Tower of Fear' by Glen Cook and I should have a review up sometime this week.
Hope you all had a great weekend and that work isn't too horrible to you tomorrow! _

3 comments:

Chris, The Book Swede said...

Sounds like you had a good weekend! By the way, I've been practising my short story writing a lot lately, and I've included your lightsaber-in-the-street antics as a tiny little bit of back-history on the character ;)

Graeme Flory said...

I'm hoping that you called your character Graeme... It just wouldn't work otherwise ;o)

Mark said...

Ha I liked that comment about the light-sabering... One time a woman showed up at my birthday party with a couple of lightsabres...She kept one for herself, and challenged/handed the other one to each new person she met. Yay :) I never got to meet her though :(