Wednesday 26 December 2007

‘Doctor Who – The Clockwise Man’ – Justin Richards (BBC Books)


If there’s one thing I’ll always remember about Saturday nights, as a kid, it was getting my regular fix of Dr. Who on BBC1. When the BBC finally took it off the air way back in 1989 (I think) I was sad to see it go but at least I still had all the books and ready access to a friend’s video collection… ;o) Now the BBC have seen the error of the ways and Saturday nights is all about Dr. Who again. This time however I have no access to a television but Father Christmas very kindly dropped off a stack of new Dr. Who books!
‘The Clockwise Man’ sees the Doctor (in his ninth incarnation) travel, with Rose Tyler, to see the Great Exhibition in London 1924. The fallout from the Russian Revolution can still be felt but it is another revolution (a lot further away) that will have the Dr and Rose struggling to solve the mystery of a mysterious painted lady and a cat that cannot be killed. The fate of London itself is at stake…
The original Dr. Who books were aimed at younger readers and ‘The Clockwise Man’ is no different. It is short and sweet as well as being fairly simple to get to grips with. Having said that though, this was just what I was after on Boxing Day! Despite the style that it’s written in I think it has something to offer an older reader, even if it’s just someone looking to rediscover a hint of their childhood (I’ll shamefacedly put my hand up here…). It’s an entertaining read that had enough twists and turns to keep me guessing as the overall plot was gradually revealed. As is the case with pretty much all Dr. Who stories, there’s a truly evil villain and a monstrous scheme to be foiled. The Ninth Doctor was one of my favourites (in the TV) so it’s good to see him portrayed so accurately in the book.
The year is winding down and I’m doing the same with my reading (it will start all over again next year though!). I’m after simple stuff that will keep me entertained and ‘The Clockwise Man’ is a great way to while away a couple of hours. It’s also a nice way to get back in touch with the nine year old part of me that gets bored doing grown up stuff ;o)

Seven out of Ten

No comments: