Tuesday 1 May 2012

Random Comics Action...

I pick up the trades these days, no hanging around waiting for the whole story to play out, so it would usually take something special to make me pick up individual comics again (like my coming across a copy of 'The Walking Dead'and giving into temptation... again) I had a brief change of heart though when a package from Dark Horse came with a random selection of comics as well as the copies of 'Mighty Samson' and 'Creepy' that I'd asked for. Thanks guys :o)

I've been working my way through these comics, over the weekend, and thought that sharing a few quick thoughts on them would be a nice easy way to kick May off. Well, it's about all I'm capable of right now (still getting over Hope's second birthday party on Sunday)! :o)
Here goes...


'Mass Effect: Invasion' #2
Once I work out just what the hell is going on here I might be in a position to tell you what I think! The artwork is great to look at initially but soon crowds everything else out and gets a little overbearing to say the least. People are saying stuff to each other so I assume there's stuff actually happening, couldn't make out what it was though...

'Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season Nine' #4
I've only ever seen one full episode of 'Buffy' (seriously) so wasn't sure if I'd be able to pick up what was going on here (especially as this was issue four). Turns out that I needn't have worried, what we had here was an 'end of story fight the baddie'sequence that was incredibly easy to get into. I've got a lot of catching up to do with 'Buffy' in general but I might pick up one of the trades once I know a little more about what's going on.

'Angel & Faith: Season Nine' #4
Is it cheating to say that I felt pretty much the same about 'Angel & Faith' as I did about 'Buffy'? It might be cheating but it's true and I don't really want to repeat myself all over again... :o)
For what it's worth 'Buffy' had the better artwork though, 'Angel & Faith' came across as a little too cartoony at times...



'Kull: The Cat and the Skull' #3
This was a great comic to read after 'Mass Affect' #2 as it was almost a lesson in 'how things should be done'. The artwork is a little more understated here and this allows the story to come to the fore and breathe a little. The highlights for me were the underwater sequences that were all the more forceful for the lack of dialogue. I'll definitely be picking up 'The Cat and the Skull' when it makes an appearance in trade.

'Knight Errant: Deluge' #5
Full of impact (and I like what's going on with the Sith here) but still felt like Star Wars 'by the numbers' to me... I've got a feeling this is more about me and Star Wars (which just isn't doing it for me these days) rather than the comic to be fair. Worth the read though just to see a flying Hutt :o)




'Orchid' #1 & #3
These two issues proved to be the surprise hit of the package and I'll definitely be on the lookout for the trade as and when it surfaces. It feels like every setting is a post-apocalyptic one at the moment but there's a refreshing old school pulp feel to this one that emphasises the gritty elements very nicely. Oh yeah, the giant animals/lizards and mutants help as well :o) The story is an intriguing one and it'll be interesting to see where it ends up.

That's me then, what comics are you reading right now? Are they worth picking up or would you advise me giving them a miss? Comments in the comments box please :o)

No comments: