Saturday 22 October 2011

One for 2012? 'Empire State' (Adam Christopher)

Is it me or am I doing this earlier and earlier every year...? :o)

As the end of the year approaches, I'm going to be pointing out a few books that you can expect to see in 2012 (until those crazy Mayans and their calendar bring everything crashing to a halt...). Some of them are books I'm looking forward to reading, some are ones that I'm kind of meh' about but think you might like to know about. 'Empire State' falls firmly in the former category. Check out the cover and then check out the blurb...

EMPIRE STATE is a story of superheroes, and a city divided in two. Detective Rad Bradbury picks up the trail of a murderer, only to discover that the world he has always known is a pocket universe, recently brought into existence by an explosion of phenomenal power. With a superhero on his tail he crosses into a city that bears a remarkable resemblance to his own – a city called New York. There he uncovers a deadly threat to the Empire State, and finds that the future of both realities are at stake.

Having enjoyed the hell out of Al Ewing's 'Gods of Manhattan' I think I'm going to have a similar time with 'Empire State' with it's mention of noir and superheroes (certainly sounds like there are some similar themes). My advance copy is quoting a January release date, for the UK, but I reckon you'll see a review here a lot sooner than that, maybe sometime in November...


You can read an interview with Adam Christopher (on cover art) Here and then (because you want to know more dammit!) you can read another interview Here.

So, what do you think? Are you planning on getting yourself a copy of 'Empire State' in the New Year?

3 comments:

benito said...

Just got my arc too & can't wait to dive in; been looking forward to it since release was announced!

Graeme Flory said...

It kind of flew under my radar a little but once I had a proper look at the ARC... I'm excited too :o)

ediFanoB said...

Al Ewing's Gods of Manhattan has been a great read.
I ordered a copy of Empire State in advance.
Angry Robots will publish several interesting books in 2012.