Saturday 26 March 2011

‘Axe Cop: Bad Guy Earth #1’ – Ethan Nicolle & Malachai Nicolle (Dark Horse Comics)

Every so often I find myself reading something that just completely leaves me lost for words. On the bus home yesterday I was left speechless (too busy giggling) by ‘Bad Guy Earth’, the Axe Cop mini-series that sprang from the imagination of a six year old boy and has been drawn by his thirty year old big brother. I wish I had a big brother like that…


I could tell you what the story is all about but I reckon you’ll have a lot more fun going to the website (scroll down the page for the link) and finding out for yourself. I’m not even sure that I can sum it up so I’m just going to give you a quick quote so you get a flavour of what it’s all about…

‘Meanwhile, on a chicken farm. All the chicken’s brains popped out. The brains turned into bad guys. They had robotic body parts and swords. They killed the farmer and then chased a cow.’

What I’ll also say is that my wife (who hates most comics) insisted on reading this one with me on the way home; she even got to hold it and turn the pages. When I get issue two she’ll probably get to hold that as well while we read it.

Ethan Nicolle’s art does the story justice but it’s Malachai’s six year old logic that really makes the story work and that’s just the way it should be. Anything can happen to Axe Cop and it invariably does. I’ve got a new favourite comic and I’m having trouble waiting for the next issue to come out in the next couple of weeks. If you like your comics a little more sophisticated then ‘Axe Cop’ might not be for you but if you wish you were still six years old then get the next best thing and check this comic out.

No comments: