Wednesday 1 July 2009

‘Olympus #1 & #2’ – Nathan Edmondson and Christian Ward (Image Comics)


It took me a little while to track down copies of these issues but I got there in the end! Fantasy has always been my ‘thing’ and I’ve been looking for comics that reflect this, I haven’t been lucky, so far, in terms of typical sword and sorcery fare with ‘Conan the Cimmerian’ and ‘Bone’ being the only two long running series that I’ve been able to find (although I will check out ‘Kull the Conqueror’ when I get a chance), does anyone know any other series that I can try?
Fantasy doesn’t just limit itself to this kind of fare though, I’ve got the second ‘Fables’ trade paperback to check out (loved the first one) and ‘Olympus’ looked like it might be worth a shot as well. I’ve just finished reading the first two issues (of a four issue mini-series) and, despite reservations, I definitely plan on being around to see how it all pans out...

I’ve already posted a brief synopsis, down the page, but just in case you can’t be bothered to scroll down (and I don’t blame you, it is one of those lazy days isn’t it?) here it is again...

In ancient Greece, Zeus granted eternal life to two brothers, and bound them to his service. 3,000 years later, they are hunting an exiled god, only in their hunt they release onto earth one of Hades' most dangerous prisoners...



Issue One is very much a scene setter that introduces us to Castor and Pollux, our two immortals who are tasked with doing the dirty work of the Olympians. They really should have made sure that the gateway to Hades closed properly though and their latest escapee means that they really have their work cut out for them! Edmondson gives us two main characters, who spark off each other in a dynamic that demands further reading, and a plot that looks like it will get very interesting indeed (Issue Two confirms this and promises great things for Issue Three). Based on what I’ve read so far I think this could work as a longer running series and I wouldn’t mind seeing this happen.

Christian Ward’s artwork is worth the price of entry (I'm loving his use of colour in bridging the gap between the urban setting and the fantastical elements that intrude upon it) but only up until the bits where the action gets hectic and there is suddenly a lot going on. I had trouble making out who had just done what, to whom, but the concept and flow of the story carried me over these bits nicely and only slightly jarred the reading for me.

Very much looking forward to seeing what happens next!

No comments: