Monday 26 September 2011

Cover Art that makes me think, 'Actually, I can respect that...'


It's not often that I come across a book where the cover is so shiny that I cannot read the blurb; I mean, if you have to go to Amazon to find out what the book that you are holding in your hands is all about then something has gone pretty wrong somewhere along the line. Then I looked at the photo of the author, looked at the lady on the front cover, looked at the author photo again... They're both the same person! This has definitely piqued my interest as far as reading this book goes and I'll tell you why in just a minute. Here's the blurb (courtesy of Amazon, thanks for nothing shiny book cover...)

A beautiful woman awakens on a plane and discovers that things are going terribly wrong. The plane is about to crash into the Hudson River…and she can’t even remember her own name.

After she survives the crash, the airline determines that her name is Angela Sands. But she has no idea who she really is.
Reporter Dante Kearns is fascinated by the woman the media dubs “the Angel of the Hudson,” especially once he discovers her shocking secret. Angela can hear voices in her head—the thoughts of all men around her. And when a man gets close, her face and form change into the woman of his dreams.
Who is Angela? And why does she believe that she was murdered before she woke up on that plane in a stranger’s body? Together, Angela and Dante are going to find answers, even if they have to bring down a killer to do so.

Now, this type of book wouldn't normally make me want to pick it up but it was written by a woman who has clearly decided that if anyone's face is going to feature on the front cover of her book it'll be her face and no-one elses. You've got to admire someone like that, makes me want to write a book just so I make sure that my face and no-one else's is on the cover. My reading schedule is a bit odd right now but... yep, I'm going to have to give this book a go sometime soon :o)

5 comments:

Mardel said...

that's a big...wow on the face thing. I wonder if that was done on purpose or by accident? HaHa. Not sure what I think of it, though.

Jessica Strider said...

While I had to look her up,
'Coco' is an actress, married to Ice-T. Her face is on the cover because the publisher hopes people know who she is and will buy the book due to name/face recognition. For example Nicole 'Snooki' Polizzi's face is on the cover of her book, SHORE THING for this very reason. People aren't buying the book because they think it will be well written (though it may well be), but because the author is famous in other places (generally acting or music).

Anonymous said...

More splendid still - Nicole Morrow is rapper/actor/reality TV star Ice T's better half -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coco_Austin

Not sure that this makes the book any more readable, but she's certainly 'building the brand', as they say.

Jamie Gibbs said...

Whenever an author does this, I usually assume either self published with a low budget (I have one like that) and ego massaging (I have one like that too). I'm saying this one is the latter :P

Pabkins said...

Oh that's interesting. The premise of the book sounds interesting enough - I'll save my pennies til I hear what you say on it.

Pabkins @ Mission to Read