Wednesday 10 August 2011

'Daughter of Smoke and Bone' - Cover Art, Blurb and a Book Trailer Link...

Every now and then, a book comes along where the publicity types will look you dead in the eye and swear on their mother's life that it's the best thing... ever...

Now of course they're going to do that, it's their job after all. I mean, can you imagine a publicity person saying, "well... the book was ok, if you're into that kind of thing, but I have to say that I've read a lot better..."? No, me neither. Ultimately, the proof of the pudding will always be in the eating but this latest 'best book ever' looks like it might be a little tasty, at least for me anyway. There's a whole load of noise and buzz going on about Laini Taylor's 'Daughter of Smoke and Bone' right now and the brief look I've had suggests that it's the kind of Urban Fantasy that I enjoy reading.When I get a spare second (life permitting) I'll definitely be picking it up and seeing if my suspicions were correct.
In the meantime, check out the cover art, blurb and a link to the trailer (I'm done posting YouTube clips directly onto the blog, it never seems to work)...

Daughter of Smoke and Bone will launch on September 29th and is the first in a trilogy of. The book tells the story of an angel who fell in love with a devil. It did not end well.

Around the world, black handprints are appearing on doorways, scorched there by winged strangers who have crept through a slit in the sky. In a dark and dusty shop, a devil’s supply of human teeth grows dangerously low. And in the tangled lanes of Prague, a young art student is about to be caught up in a brutal otherworldly war.

Meet Kaoru. She fills her sketchbooks with monsters and demons that delight and enthral those around her; she’s prone to disappearing on mysterious “errands”; she speaks many languages – not all of them human; and her bright blue hair actually grows out of her head that colour.

Her life straddles two worlds: the human and a place that is Elsewhere. She has never really known which one is her true home, but now the doors to Elsewhere closing . . .Who is she? That is the question that haunts her, and she’s about to find out…

If you fancy a look at the trailer, click Here.

How does that look to you? A book that you'd be interested in picking up? I think Hodder are publishing in the UK but I'm not sure about anywhere else. Despite a dodgy looking opening sentence this looks to be an Urban Fantasy where things actually happen rather than the lead character just making puppy dog eyes at some hot looking Were-Whatever. I'll give it a go and let you know what I think :o)

2 comments:

tmastgrave said...

Well, not sure if I'd like the book, but I like the cover at least.

Michelle (Vilutheril) said...

I'm not the biggest young adult urban fantasy fan but I'm quite interested in this book. It sounds like it could be really good. At least I hope so!