Sunday 14 November 2010

One for 2011? 'Midnight Riot' (Ben Aaronovitch)

A really quick one today as I'm off out to buy armfuls of flowers in a minute (no, really... I might have to hand my 'Man Card' back at this rate!) but I got an advance copy in the post yesterday and the first couple of pages really hooked me. Del Rey are publishing this, in the US, in January next year (Gollancz are publishing it in the UK, not quite sure when though) and I reckon it could be one to look out if you like your urban fantasy to be a little more thoughtful than the usual fare. Check out the blurb...

Probationary Constable Peter Grant dreams of being a detective in London’s Metropolitan Police. Too bad his superior plans to assign him to the Case Progression Unit, where the biggest threat he’ll face is a paper cut. But Peter’s prospects change in the aftermath of a puzzling murder, when he gains exclusive information from an eyewitness who happens to be a ghost. Peter’s ability to speak with the lingering dead brings him to the attention of Detective Chief Inspector Thomas Nightingale, who investigates crimes involving magic and other manifestations of the uncanny. Now, as a wave of brutal and bizarre murders engulfs the city, Peter is plunged into a world where gods and goddesses mingle with mortals and a long-dead evil is making a comeback on a rising tide of magic.

Like I said, the first couple of pages have pretty much guaranteed that I'll be reading until the end. What do you think?

6 comments:

noothergods32 said...

This sounds interesting, I might have to see about picking it up when it comes out.

Anonymous said...

I believe that Gollancz are publishing 'Rivers of London', the British title of Midnight Riot, on the 20th of January.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I'm not an urban fantasy fan but I like mysterious set in London. I'll have to read a few pages before making a decision. Thanks for the blurb.

Walter Rhein said...

I've been seeing more and more of this "turn in my man card" talk lately. We poor males have always been OPPRESSED into feeling like we're not allowed to show our feelings. Don't you recognize the tragedy of that :)?

Graeme Flory said...

Anon - that sounds about right actually, thanks for that ;o)

Walter - I would answer this question but, you know... stiff upper lip and all that ;o)

Noobling said...

Just finished reading it. Absolutely loved it. Funny and well-researched. I could totally see this made into a miniseries on BBC.