Sunday 23 May 2010

Three of the Best at Forbidden Planet!

I feel like a bit of a fraud posting about this as other commitments meant that I only got to spend a few minutes there before having to dash off and be elsewhere. I was there though (albeit briefly) so this post does count!

Forbidden Planet have got a good thing going in terms of evenings where a bunch of authors get thrown at a bunch of fans to see what happens next. Thursday night was no exception with none other than China Mieville, Mark Charan Newton and Adam Nevill admirably performing their signing duties. If that wasn't enough, there were loads of old blogging friends that I hadn't seen in an age along with some new faces that I unfortunately never got to say hi to (maybe next time!) Such a mixture can only mean one thing... A good time was had by all :o)

I didn't get time to take any pictures but that's not actually not such a bad thing as Chloe from Pan MacMillan did a much better job than I ever would have done. I didn't think I was around for long enough to get in any of the pictures but if you find the picture of Amanda (I think) then you'll see my bearded face looking suitably awed at the prospect of meeting China Mieville. China was great to talk to although my budding theory that the London of 'King Rat' was also the London of 'Kraken' was a bit of a non-starter...

Thanks to all those people who let me jump in front of them to get my books signed so I could get away quickly. Recent events have meant that I'm about three weeks behind myself when coming up with decent excuses to jump the line. To set the record straight, my wife hasn't been pregnant for about three weeks now but there is a baby that I had to get home to...!

The books I took along looked something like this after I'd left the store (apologies as always for poor quality photos, I really should get someone else to take photos for me) ...



I was lucky enough to get quoted at the front and Mark was grateful on my behalf :o)







Thanks again to Pan MacMillan and Forbidden Planet for running this event. Next time I'll be staying for the drinks afterwards!

4 comments:

JamesY said...

At least you made it along. I was held up at work and missed it all. I will have to visit FP soon while there are still signed editions on the shelves ...

Adele said...

Ok who the hell are you because I would have loved to have said hi!!! :)

Neverwhere said...

I also would have loved to say hello to you! Please wear a name tag next time so you can be admired properly ;-)

I'm glad you had a good time, even if the visit was so short!

Graeme Flory said...

Hagelrat - Check out the picture of Amanda on the Flickr set, I'm the guy with the beard who looks like he's come straight to the signing from the office (mainly because I did come straight from the office ;o)

Neverwhere - I'm always up for being admired! :o) I'll be sure to wear a name tag next time round...

I'm hoping that the next signing that I make it to will be one that I can hang around at for a little longer!