Friday 18 July 2008

‘The Del Rey Book of Science Fiction and Fantasy’ – Ellen Datlow (Editor)


This is one that I’ve been dipping in and out of over the last few weeks. Short story collections are great for that aren’t they? You can just pick and choose what you read, none of this ‘start at the beginning and work through to the end’ nonsense… :o)
Because of their very nature, I always find anthologies to be a bit hit and miss in terms of what I get out of them. ‘The Del Rey Book of Science Fiction and Fantasy’ is no exception with stories where my interest either gradually faded or never got started in the first place (I’m looking at you ‘AKA St. Mark’s Place’…)
There were a couple of real standout efforts though and it’s these that I want to draw your attention to…

‘The Goosle’ – Margo Lanagan

This one has stirred up a little controversy on the net with a perceived image of child abuse running throughout the tale. Having read it all I can really say is that if people are intent on looking for trouble then they’ll make sure they’ll find it. This is a dark fantasy tale of plague, abuse and a possible outcome to the tale of ‘Hansel and Gretel’ but it’s also a tale of survival against the odds and the strength needed to come through some really nasty stuff. It’s a coming of age tale as well with bleakness evident both in the scenery and the thoughts going through the main character’s head. ‘The Goosle’ would probably have been my favourite tale if it wasn’t for…

‘Daltharee’ – Jeffrey Ford

A city in a bottle, within a city in a bottle, within a city in a bottle… ad infintium… This tale really messed with my head with it’s talk of shrinking rays being reflected off mirrors and the lengths that people will go to in order to cover up their mistakes. ‘Daltharee’ is part science fiction, part horror and the horror element really comes to the fore in the final paragraphs. Scary as hell but compelling at the same time, ‘Daltharee’ has stayed in my head, ever since I finished reading it, and I don’t see it leaving anytime soon…

Honourable mentions go to Pat Cadigan’s ‘Jimmy’ (an intriguing build up but the payoff felt tacked on) and Nathan Ballingrud’s ‘North American Lake Monsters’ (spooky with a chilling ending, it just didn’t get me in the same way that ‘The Goosle’ and ‘Daltharee’ did).
I’m not giving this one a mark, right now, as I haven’t read the whole book. I may come back at a later date and award a mark then…

No comments: