Sunday 1 February 2009

The Latest Comics Haul...

I didn't buy so many comics this week as my wallet is still reeling from the recent book signing where I spent far too much money... Payday cannot get here quickly enough!
Here's what I did get...

The Goon #31



I'm collecting the trades but could not resist buying the final episode in the Goon's battle against Labrazio. Even Frankie has very little to laugh about in an episode that's big on intensity and emotion rather than humour. Did the Goon make the right decision in sticking around? He might not think so... Everything gets tied up but there's a hint of more to come in the future. A comic book that I'm glad I picked up.


The Sandman: The Dream Hunters #2



I hate comics that don't have the issue number on the cover. I got the whole way through before I realised that this was issue 2... Having said that though, I got all the way through before realising that this was issue 2 as this is a fairly self contained story. I picked this up on the strength of having read 'Preludes and Nocturnes' the other week and am glad I did. Gaiman's tale of a monk (and a fox) and a man who fears too much was absorbing while P. Craig Russell's art was just lovely. Now I have to find issue one...


Frank Frazetta's 'Moon Maid' (One Shot)



I asked myself whether I should be posting a picture with a woman's bare... well, you know... Having read the comic, I decided that I may as well as the Frazetta art on the front was the best thing about the comic. Not enough time to tell a decent story here, things felt rushed to say the least. Nice concept but too many questions left unanswered...

See you all on Monday when I get back into reviewing some of the books I've been reading over the weekend... :o)

3 comments:

Chris, The Book Swede said...

Glad you're still enjoying the Sandman :) I'm gonna have to get hold of some more comics, I think!

On the blog, I've just posted news about a Jane Austen/zombie cross-over book you might like to get hold of! ;)

~Chris

Thea said...

Oh, I love the current Dream Hunters comics. (P.S.--I had a similar problem at my comic book store with trying to locate the issue number; for these, it's on the back cover!)

I've only read the first trade pbk of The Goon--and it's awesome. I'll have to get caught up!

Graeme Flory said...

Chris - Review some books! :o)

Thea - You're reading the Goon? Very cool but that was going to be my next dare for you... ;o)