Wednesday 17 September 2008

Movie! ‘Pan's Labyrinth'


You're not going to get an awful lot out of me today, the dentist dug a piece of root out of my gum/jaw this morning and I'm feeling all sorry for myself... :o(
Normal service should hopefully resume tomorrow!

What you will get though is me going on about how great 'Pan's Labyrinth' is. I watched it this afternoon and it is great! :o)
For those of you who haven't seen it here's a quick synopsis that I swiped from elsewhere...

During the Spanish Civil War young Ofelia enters a world of unimaginable cruelty when she moves in with her new stepfather a tyrannical military officer. Armed with only her imagination Ofelia discovers a mysterious labyrinth and meets a faun who sets her on a path to saving herself and her ailing mother. But soon the lines between fantasy and reality begin to blur and before Ofelia can turn back she finds herself at the center of a ferocious battle between good and evil.

I haven't got so into a film for a long time. It's dark and sinister and that's just the stuff going on in the real world, the 'otherworldly' sections have a real fairytale feel to them that also has a dark edge. 'Pan's Labyrinth' is gripping stuff that's going to need a second, or even third, viewing before I discover a single thing that I didn't like.

Like I said, this was always going to be a short one today so I'm off to put an ice pack on my jaw. Just give 'Pan's Labyrinth' a go if you haven't seen it already.

See you tomorrow!

4 comments:

bottomie said...

shame

hope you feel better soon, i have to go to the dentist again soon too. sad times - my the force be with u

Unknown said...

I really really enjoyed this movie. Some may feel it wasn't worth all the hype, but it was so beautiful, fantastic, ugly, and real, all at the same time. I think that the even just the visuals of the movie are enough to love it.

Mihai A. said...

This is one of best movies I saw lately. I have a lovely time seeing this one. I can't wait to see what Guillermo Del Toro would do with "The Hobbit".

Unknown said...

Indeed a great movie. I followed the production of the movie ever since it was anouced to be made. Needless to say, I wasn't disappointed with the end result.